How long to get a debit card? It takes 7 to 10 days to arrive in the mail, along with a few account details. For applying online for opening a bank account, application processing time and providing account number may take 1 to 2 days. If you go personally for it, expect time from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
1. How long to get a debit card ?
Generally, it takes 7 to 10 business days and at times only within 5 days but exactly how long to get a debit card depends on each bank’s policy.
Different scenarios related to delivery timings
1. At times, some banks give you a debit card on the same day you open your account.
2. If some banking institutions are busier than normal days, expect a delay of 2 to 3 weeks.
3. It takes 1 or 2 weeks in the UK, if you are receiving your first card from the bank.
4. If you get some issue in your existing card then it may take 48 hours for the bank to print and send the new card.
5. If you want a card more quickly, then your bank would charge you a fee for expedited service.
Check documents that you received at time of account opening for information about card delivery time frames.
You can also check your bank’s policy on it online on their website.
1.1. Why do debit cards take so long to arrive?
Banks have to order contract companies to make debit cards which is why the process takes time. Contract company first confirms information then prepares cards and delivers it.
Company does the following after taking orders.
- Confirming the provided information
- Encoding strip and chip of the card
- Then put the card into the envelope to mail it, also sending a PIN along with it (which depends on each bank).
- After that the company will mail you a card directly if you have requested for direct service or will send it to your bank. This process saves a bit of time.
If you did not ask for direct service, then the company will send your card to your bank’s main branch. After this it will be mailed to your bank’s branch and you will be called by your branch about the card’s arrival. In this way, card delivery consumes more time.
1.2. Reasons of delay in debit card delivery service
- Providing the wrong address and/or contact number.
- Stolen debit card from the mailbox. As there are identity thieves who peek into the mailboxes for getting their hands on debit cards and assess your sensitive information.
- If your bank confirms you that they had used correct information for a mailing card then there is a high chance it got stolen. In such a case, immediately ask the bank to freeze your bank account.
- Another reason might be the backlogs. It means there is a weekend, public holiday or some other major reason due to which the bank is closed. Thus such holidays also increase delay timing to 1, 2 or some extra days.
1.3. Track your debit card arrival online
The best option is to call your bank and ask for your debit card status. Ask when it was mailed by the bank and where it has reached right now.
Another way to track is by logging into your bank’s website. But this facility is not provided by every bank.
Expect 7-10 days but still each bank may have a different time frame for debit card arrival. Card arrival takes long as banks order contract companies to make them. Other factors may cause further delay thus best is to track your debit card status online or by calling the bank.
2. What is Debit card?
A rectangular shaped plastic card, used for purchasing or taking out money from an ATM. It is a safer option than carrying physical cash. In banking terms, debit means that an amount is deducted from your bank account, which may be a checker or saving account.
3. How long does it take to open a bank account?
It takes a longer time of 30 minutes to 1 hour if you personally go for account opening. Later application processing and providing account detail further takes 1 to 2 days.
Things to consider before bank account opening
- Check for the type of account you want and why, as all banks offer many types to cater your needs.
- Check account details on every bank’s websites. They contain information about their features and benefits to customers.
- Compare their features with other bank’s same accounts, for example, choose and select which bank offers the best rate of interest on saving accounts.
- After finalizing a suitable account now look at more details. These details include checks about bank procedure/policy in case of stealing or fraud, charges for account withdrawal, charges for bouncing a check, minimum balance amount required for the account.
3.1. Opening a bank account
Many banks including credit unions provide 2 ways to open an account. You can open it online or on the phone.
What information is required for opening account
Banks require certain information about you for opening your account. Each bank may differ in terms of what information they need.
Banks have certain policies regarding the amount to be deposited in account and what would be the payment method.
Following information is required by the bank.
- Your ID (social security card, driver license or passport)
- Your another bank’s account number (in case you would be using that in future for money transfer)
Make sure to take advantage of automatic features such as online banking particularly auto bill payment which would help in reduction of interest on your loan or direct depositing.
3.2. How Long It Takes to Open a Bank Account?
If you opened your account online or on the phone then it may take you hardly 10 to 15 minutes or even less. In case of opening an account in-person then expect a longer time from 30 minutes to at least 1 hour.
For opening an account online/by phone, the initial process would be quick. After that your application processing time may take 1 to 2 days. Further, expect 7 to 10 days for receiving it which also includes account details.
You can quickly get your account documents and debit/ATM card by just visiting the bank and asking them to get your debit/ATM card and account details printed (in case your bank does provide this facility).
If you open an account in-person, you can take a debit card immediately at the bank.
3.3. What things to do if the bank denies you opening your account?
There are cases when the bank declines your account opening request. Let us see reasons and what to do in such a case.
Why does the bank reject the application?
Banks first check your banking habits before accepting your account opening request. They use any screening service, most popularly the ChexSystems.
They check the following information about you.
- Credit score using your credit report (weighs more important than others)
- Previous banking record of poor banking practices ( e.g. not paying fee, bouncing check etc)
- Customer’s reporting database
3.4. What to do after bank denial?
- Ask the reason for denial. If possible ask for a copy of the screen service e.g. ChexSystem, examine the report for any error about which you can talk to the bank.
- If the above method does not produce any sound reason for talking to the bank, then go for a second chance checking account. It is opted when someone has a history of bad financial habits. But it would cost you restrictions and extra fees.
Opening a bank account online/on phone takes 10-15 minutes, otherwise 30 minutes to 1 hour if opened in person.
Search for a suitable account type for you. Compare with another bank’s same account.
Bank requires your information.
After processing your application, the bank can deny opening your account. It is because of your poor history of financial habits. Instead you can avail to open a second chance checking account.
4. How long does it take to take a temporary debit card?
You can get it immediately at the bank. Either ask your bank to give you one or at times the bank asks you if you need a temporary debit card. Temporary debit cards can be used instead of your debit card which is yet to be mailed to you.
5. How long does it take to get your unemployment debit card in the mail?
It will be received in 7 to 10 days. Still, keep in mind that it may take a few more days to receive it due to processing of a high number of claims. Also, expect a period of at least 2 weeks for the processing time of unemployment benefit’s claim.
6. How long does BBVA debit card take to arrive?
It takes 7 to 10 business days for the arrival of a BBVA debit card.
If you did not receive your card at the estimated time or think it has got stolen then report BBVA at 1-844-228-2872.
BBVA (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria) is a Spanish multinational bank while BBVA USA is its subsidiary. It is one of the leading American banks with its headquarters in Birmingham, Alabama.
7. How long does it take for a Bank of America debit card to arrive?
It takes 4 to 6 business days to arrive in mail with an embedded chip on the card. If you urgently need to use a debit card then they offer an alternative option of applying for a digital version of the card. Digital cards can be obtained by using their website or mobile app.
There are no charges for making a debit card for the first time.
8. Does Bank of America give you a debit card on the spot?
No, they do not give a debit card on the spot. It would take specified days to arrive in the mail. You can request a digital version of a card using their mobile app or website. Digital version of the card can be used immediately.
Digital debit card expires at the time when you activate your arrived plastic debit card. In the second case, it may expire at the end of the month (the same month it was issued).
9. How long does it take to get a debit card from Chase?
You will receive it in 3 to 5 business days after requesting your Chase debit card. If your card is stolen, or you have lost it then expected arrival time is 5 days by mail. If you do not receive it for 2 weeks then you must call the bank at 800-935-9935 or online request for a replacement card.
How to request a replacement card at Chase Bank?
Go to Chase Bank website or mobile app and login to your account. Here go to ‘’Account services’ where click on the option of ‘’Replace a lost or damaged card’’ from where you can request a replacement card.
10. How long does it take for a debit card to activate?
It takes only a few minutes. To activate the card, call the bank on the number which is written on the back of the card. Some banks give options for activation using an ATM where you can swipe a card and enter an assigned PIN or use the bank’s website.
You must activate the card after receiving it, otherwise, you cannot use it. It is because activation makes sure that the card is with the authorized user.
To prevent card misuse, do two things. Write on the card as “Ask for Identification” or sign over it.
You can get a temporary debit card immediately in the branch. You receive an unemployment debit card, BBVA debit card in 7-10 days. Bank of America does not provide a debit card immediately and their card takes 4-6 days to arrive. Chase bank debit cards are received in 3-5 days. Debit cards take only a few minutes to activate.
People have queries related to how long it takes to get a debit card. So, let us see some of them and get their answers.
1. Which banks give debit cards immediately?
There are some credit unions and banks who print debit cards in their branch and thus immediately provide you.
Names of these banks are mentioned below.
- First National Bank and Trust Company
- American National Bank & Trust Company
- Altra Federal Credit Union
- Navy Federal Credit Union
2. Can you get a debit card at 14?
Yes, you can get it at age 14. It is because many banks offer checking accounts for teens starting at age 13. You can get a debit card in your name.
A teen’s parent or legal guardian needs to be joint owner of an account till the child gets 18. Thus, parents can keep a check on their account activities.
But children of all ages can get a prepaid debit card.
3. Do temporary debit cards have CVV number?
Yes , they do have CVV numbers.
When you receive a debit card in mail and activate it, from that same time the temporary debit card CVV number gets invalid and your new CVV number is the one written on your physical debit card.
- If you wonder how long to get a debit card, then it takes 7 to 10 days to arrive by mail.
- Some banks give you debit cards immediately in the branch.
- Debit card arrival time takes a long time because some banks order contract companies to make debit cards for them.
- Before making your bank account, you need to check for certain information. Such as which bank offers the best features on the type of account you want to open.
- Opening an online/on phone bank account takes 10-15 minutes. Opening in person may take 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Every bank may differ in their debit card arrival time. For example, a Chase Bank debit card arrives in 3 to 5 business days.